Copyright 2004-24 Glenn Luttrell
This page last updated 23 Jan 2024
Close this window to return to previous page
Early history of Luttrellstown
References in the Irish records, according to the historian, Francis Elrington Ball, refer to "Luttrellstown" in Castleknock as early as the late 13th century, only fifty years after the death of Robert Luttrell, Chancellor of Ireland, who is recorded as having dwelt in the area.
Referring to an inquisition after the death of the fifth baron of Castleknock, in 1299, Ball writes. . .
"Before that time a number of families had become established on the Castleknock lands. . .
. . .To the south-west (of Castleknock) at Clonsilla the family of Luttrell had been enfeffed by the Tyrrells, subject to homage and an annual service of forty pence...."
"When the Irish tribes began to invade the country near the mountains in the last decade of the thirteenth century, some of the inhabitants took refuge at Castleknock, which, as has been already mentioned, was then known as 'the land of peace.' One of them, Paul Lagheles by name, found, however, that the land of peace was not necessarily a land of safety, and his sheep, to the number of 200, were carried off
while grazing in Luttrellstown by, as he alleged, men from Louth, who were coming to fight the king's enemies in the mountains."
"At the close of the fourteenth century the religious houses and several of the families mentioned at the close of the previous century remained in possession of their lands. The de la Feldes were still found at Corduff, the Woodlocks at Cappoge,
and the Luttrells at Luttrellstown."
(3) Ball, "History of the County Dublin", Part VI, "Southern Fingal, The Parish of Castleknock"
Present day historian, Niall C. E. J. O'Brien seems to emphasize the "documentary evidence" regarding the specific location
of Luttrellstown Castle and notes that other families than the Luttrells occupied Luttrellstown lands and that the Luttrells held the land by tenancy and "held no land in chief of the king".
"The first of the Luttrell family to be associated with Luttrellstown as per the documentary evidence was Robert Luttrell in the early fifteenth century. In 1408 Robert Luttrell is mentioned as tenant of Luttrellstown from the Tyrell family at the manor of Castleknock. William Bolthame was an under tenant of Robert at Luttrellstown by the service of 20d rent. William Bolthame was also a tenant of Robert Luttrell at Tyremoln, Barbiestown, and Fynnaghland.
In the mid fifteenth century Christopher Luttrell was the owner of Luttrellstown. On 25th March 1455 Christopher Luttrell of Clonchillagh (Clonsilla) died leaving a son called Thomas Luttrell who was nineteen years old and married to Elena, daughter of Philip Bellew. On 4th August 1455 an inquisition post mortem held at Castleknock, Co. Dublin found Christopher Luttrell to have Luttrellstown, held of the manor of Castleknock for 3s 4d per annum; along with Clonsilla which was held of the same manor at 30s per annum; a piece of ground called Tyremolyn which was held at 8s per annum and Barbyeston, held of Castleknock at 47s per annum. For these lands, Christopher Luttrell did royal service and suit of court at the manor of Castleknock.
This inquisition shows that the Luttrell family had Luttrellstown in 1455 but that they were living in Clonsilla. It also shows that the family held no land in chief of the king but instead rented Luttrellstown and other lands from the manor of Castleknock. Evidence from elsewhere shows the Tyrrell family as lords of Castleknock in 1255 and 1355 and possibly in the time of Christopher Luttrell. In 1537 John Burnell and Sir Christopher Barnewall shared the manor of Castleknock in two halves.
Not all the land in Luttrellstown was the sole possession of the Luttrell family. In 1537 John Burnell, lord of Castleknock, held some land in Luttrellstown."
Luttrell of Luttrellstown: early records
by Niall C.E.J. O’Brien
Christopher Luttrell, PM, 4 Aug 1455 Castleknock, before John Belles, Seneschal. Christopher Luttrell of Clonchillagh, d. 25 Mar, last, seised of Luttrellstown, held of the manor of Castleknoke 3s., 4d, p. a., . . . and other properties. . .Heir – s. Thomas, age 19, married to Elena, dau of Philip Bellewe
May 1534 – Simon Lutterel and others granted manors and lands in co. Dublin
Sir Thomas Luttrell, of Luttrellston, was seised of a castle, a hall, a watermill and 346 a. in Lutteranston (Luttrellston) & Ballyeston. . . (and several other properties). . .”The premises in Luttrellston and Ballyeston are held of the King. . .and Patrick Barnewall of Crickeston as of their manor of Castleknocke by rent and suit of court. . .The premises in Clonsillagh and the Grange are held of the king and queen and the said Patrick as of the manor of Castleknocke by royal service.”
Pg 329Sir Thomas Luttrell of Luttrellston was seised in tail of a castle, a hall, a kitchen and other buildings & 286 a. in Luttrellston and Kellieston, held of the queen as of the manor of Castleknocke at 40 d. p.a., 120 a. in Clonshillaghe & the grange, held of same by rent. . .(several other properties also noted) 7 Mar 1552 – pg 154Will of John Eustace of County Kildare - reference to property in co. Dublin granted (by Will?) to several including
“Thomas Lutrell of Tyrrelliston, husbandman”
Also mentions “half of the manor of Castroknock (Castleknock) lately belonging to John Burnell, attainted traitor, and also from
Sir Christopher Barnewall as of the other half of the said manor. . .
States that Sir Thomas Luttrell is cousin of John Eustace
John Burnell, who held "half of the manor of Castleknock" with Sir Christopher Barnewall, was attainted prior to 1552. His half of the manor of Castleknock would have reverted to the king.
Calendar of Inquisitions Formerly In The Office Of The Chief Remembrancer of The Exchequer Prepared From The MSS Of The Irish Record Commission
by Margaret C. Griffith
Published with the permission of the Director of The National Archives DUBLIN: Stationery Office For The Irish Manuscripts Commission 1991
This extract from Maurice Regan's La Chanson Dermot e le Conte or 'The Song of Diarmaid and the Earl', written circa 1225AD and the most famous literary introduction to the Norman invasion translates thus:
'Of Hugh de Lacy I shall tell you, How he enfeoffed his barons, Knights, sergeants and retainers
Castleknock in the first place he gave To Hugh Tyrrell, whom he loved so much; . . .