In the center of the village of Dunster, is the Parish and Priory Church of St. George, dating to the 15th century.
Surrounding Dunster Castle is a terraced garden containing rare plants and shrubs, with many glorious views.
(At right) Interior of the Church of St. George.
(at left) Luttrell coat of arms engraved in the pew in the Luttrell Chapel
Eric Luttrell views the alabaster effigy of Sir Hugh Luttrell, the first Luttrell to occupy Dunster Castle.
Conygar Tower, built by Henry Fownes-Luttrell in the mid 1700's.
"The American Luttrells" visit Dunster Castle, whose "embattled skyline is a frontispiece to English history. It evokes the age of siege warfare, cannon fire, dark deeds, bloodshed, treachery, turbulent loyalties and glory." DUNSTER CASTLE, 1985, D. Dodd, The National Trust
Bridge over the River Avill which flows along the base of the Tor below Dunster Castle.
All images are protected by Copyright and may not be copied in any manner without the permission of the photographer.
Unless otherwise noted, the photographs on this site are Copyright by Glenn Luttrell
The site of Dunster Castle has been occupied for over a thousand years. It was a fortress against the Celts and Northmen in Saxon times. After the Norman invasion the property was granted to William de Mohun by William the Conqueror. In 1376 the property passed from the de Mohun family to the Luttrells who held the property for 600 years. In 1976 the Castle and park were given to the National Trust by Lt.-Colonel Geoffrey Walter Luttrell, MC.
The place is called "Dunestore" in a charter granted by William de Mohun to the monks of Bath between 1090 and 1100. The name is most likely derived from "tor" - being the "projecting rocks", or "fortification" - of the dunes, or hills by the sea.
The Gatehouse was erected in 1420 by Sir Hugh Luttrell. Its large windows were added a hundred years later.
The upper story of the Gatehouse
Dunster Castle stands above the village of Dunster in west Somerset
The north front of the castle as seen from the Tor above looking out toward the sea.
Copr. The National Trust 1985
"Gained by strength,
held by skill" reads the
motto from the Dunster Luttrell coat of arms.
This allegorical portrait of Sir John Luttrell may have been inspired by his service during the war with Scotland when he commanded the English garrison on the beleaguered Isle of Inchcolm and then, later, suffered through a shipwreck. The portrait, by Hans Eworth, hangs in the entrance wall of Dunster Castle.